Pages

Saturday, April 13, 2013

Speaker Profile-Jane E. Wilcox


Thursday, 9 May at 4:00 p.m., T257, Jane E. Wilcox of Forget-Me-Not Ancestry

How can we find women's voices from centuries past? By digging deeply!

I will show ways to bring our female ancestors to light in my session entitled "Finding American Women's Voices through the Centuries: Letters, Journals, Newspapers and Court Records." Using examples from the seventeenth through the twentieth centuries, I will explore many avenues–some often overlooked–for researchers to take when we are trying to hear the voices of those elusive women in our family trees. Find out where to look for the letters, journals, newspapers and court records that recorded their lives and discover ideas on how to extrapolate the information that these documents contain about our grandmothers. We'll meet a number of intriguing women along the way.


Fascinated with genealogy and history since I was a kid, I have been digging around in my own ancestry backyard for decades and doing it professionally for more than a decade. I learned genealogy on the lap of my own grandmother, a national chair for the Daughters of the American Revolution (DAR) Genealogical Records Committee. I have a bachelor's degree in history and English and a master's degree in journalism. Integrating history with my genealogy work, I love to place my research subjects into the context of their times. I believe that our ancestors want their stories to be told.




Share/Bookmark

No comments:

Post a Comment